Monday, June 16, 2014

Barun Da...remembering the man missed by all

By Sandeep Datta
June 16, 2014 , 6.25 p.m.

Some people are simply unforgettable. Barun Haldar , whom everyone (only boys) affectionately called "Barun Da" but girls addressed as "BooRoon" with love has been one such person for me in journalism. 

Perhaps, he actually enjoyed being called like that by different genders during his years in Asian News International (ANI) news agency in Delhi. I remember how he habitually corrected every newcomer girl the moment she first called him "sir".  He would say: "No 'sir' for me. Either call me 'Grand Pa' or 'BOOO RUN'." "Now say it again: 'Booo Roon' not 'Barun'.  

Sometimes it looked as if these pretty girls, in their early 20s, chose talking to him for so long only to make the boys, envy of their proximity and comfort level with such a giant media figure like him. After all, he was a top-class voice over artiste; giving his voice for news items and other TV programmes in ANI after his illustrious career in All India Radio (AIR).

He also earned a lot of fame in AIR for his expertise developed because of his love for nuances of English language, especially, the pronunciation. He once told me that anyone could be relieved from his job as a Radio Jockey during his AIR days, if he found him or her mispronouncing even a single word even quite late in the night. 

He once said Shashi Tharoor, of the UN fame and Congress' disrepute, played in his lap during childhood. I believed his claim   

Therefore I always wondered what those barely college pass-outs would be 'discussing' with an intellectual like him. And, what on earth was letting him allow them steal his precious time.  But I always noticed that he too enjoyed gossiping. But Barun Da never uttered anything against the company. It was part of his smartness while conversing under the roof of the company.  

Barun Da always held his former boss of AIR and later ANI's Editor-in-Chief  I.Ramamohan Rao in high regard. Rao sahab, a former media adviser to prime minister Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi, and P.Narsimha Rao, has been my actual mentor in journalism, especially feature writing.

It was only much later that I found almost all girls used to 'bitch about ANI, salaries, and some of them would even discuss their latest crush or even family problems with him. Obviously, he enjoyed so much faith of everyone that all considered him really coooooooool. 

I would always hear a lot about him from others that this man is this much great, cool, lovable, wow and all other adjectives being said in admiration of his personality.  So my natural curiosity overwhelmed me to ensure that my seat was closest to his. Having read human behaviour and biographical books for about six-seven years before taking to journalism, it was quite natural for me to develop curiosity for an interesting personality like him. 

It was more like a little boy approaching a popular hero and trying his best to observe his every move with excitement and amazement. The objective was to understand his life-size personality and charm.  

Between our seats, there was a third person "Ganjoo sahab". Both of them used to talk to each other a lot. And, mostly Barun da used to ask something about news developments just as the occurred on TV screens installed on the wall near their seats. And, he would give his own unusual viewpoint. 

Ganjoo sahab, an expert on Kashmir affairs and solid journalist, would always explain this happened because of that and "take my words for that Barun Da.....ye pagal hain Congress wale". Both would keep betting on any move of the government or the opposition BJP. Though it's a fact that no matter what....nobody ever cherished even a single toffee or cup of tea out of their 'win' or 'loss' in the name of so called daily 'bets'.

I used to act as an onlooker who would just smile whenever Barun da would turn towards me, expecting me to support his words in their arguments. I disappointed him most of the times in their arguments.

Soon he started describing me as as pro-BJP and anti-Congress person. So when Ganjoo sahab left ANI, showing middle finger to his immediate boss, it was just Barun da and me. I felt delighted. It would be only me and him for discussions in spare time! Yahooo!

Barun da was also very fond of talking to Vaibhav, a highly decent person and handsome anchor. They would always converse in English and discuss scripts and pronunciations. I always thought Vaibhav also enjoyed his company a lot....and it used to make me jealous whenever they went for tea-break at 5.00 and dinner at 7.30 in the evening. They never invited me to the cafeteria to join their discussions.

But still I was happy most of the time, Barun da had none other than me to discuss hardcore political developments. I admit that I even started studying newspapers quite seriously only to be prepared to talk to him in the office time. I was into feature writings so political news was of least importance to me professionally in those days. But still I would read papers religiously… only to be fully prepared to answer his criticism of the BJP folks and even Hindu traditions.

He branded me BJP man. And, he would invariably ask me to owe responsibility or explain statements of BJP leaders or even firebrand Vishwa Hindu Parishad leaders like Praveen Togadia. When Babri-Ram Janambhoomi verdict of the Supreme Court was read out, all greeted me, except him. lols. It was all due to his public projection of me. Frankly, I enjoyed whenever he felt irritated or angry about BJP. I knew the moment he would turn around from the TV screen, I would be held ‘guilty’ for entire BJP.    
       
But one day he gave me a rare insight of his hidden self. I remember once I went on a 10-day pilgrimage to seek blessings of seven incarnations of Goddess Vaishno in Himachal Pradesh and Jammu. On my return, he surprised me about his value for Hindu Gods when he said: "Sann..dippp, will you give me just a bit of "Dhool" (dust) from under your feet since you have returned after having an audience of highly revered Devis." I was pleasantly shocked. I never thought he actually held such a deep regard for Goddesses, as I always found him criticising traditional Hindu rituals being practiced blindly in India.

The incident shook my false sense of pride in observation. It left me thinking, actually how much there was still left to understand about this little explored Barun da, the evergreen man of different shades.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sandeep,
You have only spoken about your interaction with dear Barunda during his stint at the ANI.

I wish you had the pleasure of listening to him and also the likes of Lotika ratnam, Surjit Sen and Chakrapani reading the news at 9 in the evenings (nights so to say) and also at 8.00 a.m. It was a treat to hear them alongside Melville de Mello, the evergreen newsreader and incidentally mentor of dear Barunda. They were superb or rather par-excellence.
These days only Sanjay Mattu and Valsa Williams boast of that remarkable diction. Aneja Dang is also good but she rarely reads the news.
Further, I have had very interesting tete-e-tete with Mr. and Mrs. Haldars and both of them are gem of a couple.
As for dear Shashi Tharoor playing on the laps of dear Barunda is a fact since the senior Tharoor (Mr.Chandan) was among the leading media personalities in Calcutta during 60s and 70s. He was the GM Advertising for The Statesman and later headed the ad wing of the prestigious Readers' Digest.

Suresh